F the fish patrolmen we at various times served under, Charley Le Grant and I were agreed, I think, that Neil Partington was the best. He was neither dishonest nor cowardly; and while he demanded strict obedience when we were under his orders, at the same time our relations were those of easy comradeship, and he permitted us a freedom to which we were ordinarily unaccustomed, as the present story will show.
     Neil's family lived in Oakland, which is on the Lower Bay, less than six miles across the water from San Francisco. One day, while scouting among the Chinese shrimp-catchers of Point San Pedro, he received word that his wife was very ill, and that day, within the hour, the Reindeer was bowling along for Oakland with a stiff northwest breeze astern. We ran up the Oakland estuary and came to anchor, and in the days that followed, while Neil was ashore, we tightened up the Reindeer's rigging, overhauled the ballast, scraped down and put the sloop into the best possible condition.
     This done, time hung heavy on hour hands. Neil's wife was dangerously sick, and the outlook was a week of waiting for the crisis. Charley and I roamed the docks, wondering what we should do, and so came upon the oyster fleet, lying at the Oakland City Wharf. In the main, they were trim boats, made for speed and bad weather, and we sat down on the stringer-piece of the dock to study them.
     Pedlers were backing their wagons to the edge of the wharf, and I managed to learn the selling price of the oysters.
     "That boat must have at least two hundred dollars' worth aboard," I calculated. "I wonder how long it took to get the load?"
     "Three or four days," Charley answered. "Not bad wages for two men."
     The boat we were discussing, the Ghost, lay directly beneath us. Two men composed its crew, one a squat and broad-shouldered fellow, with remarkably long and gorilla-like arms, the other, tall and well-proportioned, with clear blue eyes and a mat of straight black hair. So unusually and striking was this combination of hair and eyes that Charley and I remained somewhat longer than we had intended, watching this man.
     And it was well that we did. A stout, prosperous-looking elderly man came up and stood beside us, looking down upon the deck of the Ghost. He appeared angry, and the longer he looked the angrier he grew.
     "Those are my oysters," he said, at last. "I know they are my oysters. You raided my beds last night and robbed me of them."
     The men on the Ghost looked up.
     "Hello, Taft!" the short man said, with insolent familiarity. (Among the bay-farers he had gained the nickname of "The Centipede.") "Wot 'r' you growlin' about now?"
     "Those are my oysters, that's what I said. You've stolen them from my beds."
     "You're mighty wise, ain't ye?" was The Centipede's sneering reply. "S'pose you can tell your oysters wherever you see 'em."
     "I know they're mine!" Taft cried.
     "Prove it!" challenged the tall man, who we afterward learned was known as "The Porpoise" because of his wonderful swimming abilities.
     Mr. Taft shrugged his shoulders helplessly. Of course he could not prove the oysters to be his, no matter how certain he might be.
     "I'd give a thousand dollars to have you men behind bars!" he cried. "I'll give fifty dollars a head for your arrest and conviction, all of you!"
     A roar of laughter went up from the different boats, for the rest of the crews had been listening to the discussion.
     "There's more money in oysters," The Porpoise remarked, dryly.
     Mr. Taft turned on his heel and walked away. From out of the corner of his eye Charley noted the direction in which he went. Several minutes later, when he had disappeared round a corner, Charley rose lazily to his feet. I followed him, and we sauntered off in the opposite direction to that taken by Mr. Taft.
     "Come on! Lively!" Charley whispered, as soon as we had passed from the view of the oyster fleet.
     Our course was changed at once, and we dodged round corners and raced up side streets till Mr. Taft's form loomed up ahead of us.
     "I'm going to interview him about that reward," Charley explained, as we caught up with the oyster-bed owner. "Neil will be delayed here a week, and you and I might was well be doing something in the meanwhile."
     "Of course, of course!" Mr. Taft said, when Charley had introduced himself and explained his errand. "Those thieves are robbing me of thousands of dollars every year. As I said, I'll give fifty dollars a head, and call it cheap at that. They've robbed my beds, torn down my signs, terrorized my watchmen, and last year killed one of them. Couldn't prove it. All done in the blackness of night. The detectives could do nothing. We have never succeeded in arresting one of those men. So I say, Mr.—What did you say your name was?"
     "Le Grant," Charley answered.
     "So I say, Mr. Le Grant, I am deeply obliged to you for the assistance you offer. And I shall be glad to coöperate with you in every way My watchmen and boats are at your disposal. Come and see me at the San Francisco offices any time, or telephone. And don't be afraid of spending money."
     "Now we'll see Neil," Charley said, when Mr. Taft had gone.
     Not only did Neil Partington interpose no obstacle to our adventure, but he proved to be of the greatest assistance.
     Charley and I knew nothing of the oyster industry, but Neil's head was an encyclopedia of facts concerning it. Also, inside an hour or so, he was able to bring to us a Greek boy of seventeen or eighteen, who knew the ins and outs of oyster piracy.
     I may as well explain that we of the fish patrol were free lances, in a way. While Neil Partington, who was a patrolman proper, received a regular salary, Charley and I, being merely deputies, received only what we earned—that is to say, a certain percentage of the fines imposed on convicted violators of the fish laws. Also any rewards that chanced our way were ours.
     We offered to share with Partingon whatever we should get from Mr. Taft, but the patrolman would not hear of it. He was only too happy, he said, to do a good turn for us, who had done so many for him.
     We held a long council of war, and mapped out the following line of action. Our faces were strange ones on the Lower Bay, but as the Reindeer was too well known as a fish-patrol sloop, the Greek boy, whose name was Nicholas, and I were to sail some innocent-looking craft down to Asparagus Island and join the oyster pirates' fleet. Here, according to Nicholas's description of the beds and the manner of raiding, it was possible for us to catch the pirates in the act of stealing oysters, and at the same time to get them in our power. Charley was to be on the shore, with Mr. Taft's watchmen and a posse of constables, to help us at the right time.
     "I know just the boat," Neil said, at the conclusion of the discussion, "a crazy old sloop that's lying over at Tiburon. You and Nicholas can go over by the ferry, charter it for a song, and sail direct for the beds."
     "Good luck be with you, boys" he said at parting, two days later. "Remember, they are dangerous men, so be careful."
     Nicholas and I succeeded in chartering the sloop very cheaply, and between laughs, while getting up sail, we agreed that she was even crazier and older than Neil's description had led us to expect. She was a big, flat-bottomed and square-sterned, sloop-rigged, with a sprung mast, slack rigging, dilapidated sails and rotten running gear, clumsy to handle and uncertain in bringing about, and she smelled vilely of coal tar, with which strange stuff she had been smeared from stem to stern and from cabin roof to centerboard. To cap it off, Coal Tar Maggie was printed in great white letters the whole length of each side.
     It was an uneventful although laughable run from Tiburon to Asparagus Island, where we arrived in the afternoon of the following day. The oyster pirates, a dozen of sloops, were lying at anchor on what was known as the "deserted beds." The Coal Tar Maggie came sloshing into their midst with a light breeze astern, and they crowded on deck to see us. Nicholas and I had caught the spirit of the crazy craft, and we handled her in most lubberly fashion.
     "Wot is it?" some one called.
     "Name it 'n' ye kin have it!" called another.
     "I swan, naow, ef it ain't the old ark itself!" mimicked The Centipede, from the Ghost.
     We took no notice of the joking, but acted, after the manner of greenhorns, as if the Coal Tar Maggie required our undivided attention. I rounded her well to windward of the Ghost and Nicholas ran forward to drop the anchor. To all appearances, it was the result of mere awkwardness, the way the chain tangled and kept the anchor from reaching the bottom. And to all appearances, Nicholas and I were excited as we strove to clear it. At any rate, we quite deceived the pirates, who took huge delight in our predicament.
     But the chain remained tangled, and amid all kinds of mocking advice we drifted down upon and fouled the Ghost, whose bowsprit poked square through our mainsail and ripped a big hole in it. The Centipede and The Porpoise doubled up on the cabin in paroxysms of laughter, and left us to get clear as best we could. This, with much unseamanlike performance, we did, and likewise we cleared the anchor chain, of which we let out about three hundred feet. With only ten feet of water under us, this would permit the Coal Tar Maggie to swing in a circle some six hundred feet in diameter, in which she would be able to foul at least half the fleet.
     The oyster pirates lay snugly together at short hawsers, the weather being fine, and they protested loudly at our ignorance in putting out such an unwarranted length of anchor chain. And not only did they protest, but they made us heave it in again, all but thirty feet.
     Having sufficiently impressed them with our general lubberliness, Nicholas and I went below to congratulate ourselves and to cook supper. Hardly had we finished the meal and washed the dishes when a skiff ground against the Coal Tar Maggie's side, and heavy feet trampled on deck. Then The Centipede's brutal face appeared in the companionway, and he descended into the cabin, followed by The Porpoise. Before they could seat themselves on a bunk another skiff came alongside, and another and another, till the whole fleet was represented by the gathering in our cabin.
     "Where'd you swipe this old tub?" asked a squat and hairy man, with cruel eyes Mexican features.
     "Didn't swipe it!" Nicholas answered, meeting them on their own ground and encouraging the idea that we had stolen the Coal Tar Maggie. "And if we did, what of it?"
     "I'd rot on the beach first before I'd take a tub that couldn't get out of its own way!" sneered he of the Mexican features.
     "How were we to know till we tried her?" Nicholas asked, so innocently as to cause a laugh. "And how do you get the oysters?" he hurried on. "We want a load of them; that's what we came for, a load of oysters."
     "What d'ye want 'em for" demanded The Porpoise.
     "Oh, to give away to our friends, or course!" Nicholas retorted. "That's what you do with yours, I suppose."
     This started another laugh, and as our visitors grew more genial we could see that they had no suspicion of our identity or purpose.
     "Didn't I see you on the dock in Oakland the other day?" The Centipede asked me.
     "Yes," I answered boldly. "I was watching you fellows and figuring out whether we'd go oystering or not. It's a pretty good business, I calculate, and so we're in for it. That is," I hastened to add, "if you fellows don't mind."
     "I'll tell you one thing," he replied, "and that is, you'll have to look sharp and get a better boat. We won't stand to be disgraced by any such box as this. Understand?"
     "Sure!" I said. "Soon as we sell some oysters we'll outfit in style."
     "And if you show yourself square and the right sort," he went on, "why, you kin run with us. But if you don't," here his voice became stern and menacing, "why, it'll be the sickest day of your life. Understand?"
     "Sure!" I said.
     After that, and more warning and advice of similar nature, the conversation became general, and we learned that the beds were to be raided that very night. As they got into their boats, after an hour's stay, we were invited to join them in the raid, with the assurance of "the more the merrier."
     "Did you notice that short, Mexican-looking chap?" Nicholas asked, when they had departed to their various sloops. "He's Barchi, of the Sporting Life Gang, and the fellow that came with him is Skilling. They're both out now on five thousand dollars' bail."
     I had learned of the Sporting Life Gang before, a crowd of hoodlums and criminals who terrorized the lower quarters of Oakland, and two-thirds of whom were usually to be found in state prison for crimes that ranged from perjury and ballot-box stuffing to murder.
     "They're not regular oyster pirates," Nicholas continued. "They've just come down for the lark and to make a few dollars. But we'll have to watch out for them."
     We sat in the cockpit and discussed the details of our plan till eleven o'clock had passed, when we heard the rattle of an oar from the direction of the Ghost. We hauled up our own skiff, tossed in a few sacks, and rowed over. There we found all the skiffs assembling, for it was the intention to raid the beds in a body.
     To my surprise, I found barely a foot of water where we had dropped anchor in ten feet. It was the big June run-out of the full moon, and as the ebb had yet an hour and a half to run, I knew that our anchorage would be dry ground before slack water.
     Mr. Taft's beds were three miles away, and for a long time we rowed silently in the wake of the other boats, once in a while grounding and constantly striking bottom with our oar-blades. At last we came upon mud covered with not more than two inches of water—not enough to float the boats. But the pirates at once jumped over the side, and by pushing and pulling on the flat-bottomed skiffs, we moved steadily along.
     After half a mile of the mud, we came upon a deep channel, up which we rowed, with dead oyster shoals looming high and dry on each side. At last we reached the picking-grounds. Two men on one of the shoals warned us off. But The Centipede and The Porpoise, Barchi and Skilling took the lead, and followed by the rest of us, at least thirty men in half as many boats, we rowed right up to the watchmen, who retreated before so overwhelming a force, and rowed their boat along the channel toward where the shore should be. Besides, it was in the plan for them to retreat.
     We hauled the noses of the boats up on the shores side of a big shoal, and all hands, with sacks, spread out and began picking, Every now and again the clouds thinned before the face of the moon, and we could see the big oysters quite distinctly. In almost no time sacks were filled and carried back to the boats, where fresh ones were obtained. Nicholas and I returned often and anxiously to the boats with our little loads, but always found some one of the pirates coming or going.
     "Never mind," he said. "No hurry. As they pick farther away it will take too long to carry to the boats. Then they'll stand the full sacks on end, and pick them up when the tide comes in and the skiffs will float to them."
     Fully half an hour went by, and the tide had begun to flood when this came to pass. Leaving the pirates at their work, we stole back to the boats. One by one, and noiselessly, we shoved them off and made them fast in an awkward flotilla. Just as we were shoving off the last skiff, or own, one of the men came upon us. It was Barchi. His quick eye took in the situation at a glance, and he sprang for us; but we went clear with a mighty shove, and he was left floundering in water over his head. As soon as he got back to the shoal, he raised his voice and gave the alarm.
     We rowed with all our strength, but it was slow going with so many boats in tow. A pistol cracked from the shoal, a second and a third; then a regular fusillade began. The bullets spat and spat all about us; but thick clouds had covered the moon, and in the dim darkness it was no more than random firing. It was only by chance that we could be hit.
     "Wish we had a launch!" I panted.
     "I'd just as soon the moon stayed hidden!" Nicholas panted back.
     It was slow work, but every stroke carried us farther from the shoal and nearer the shore, till at last the shooting died down, and when the moon did come out we were too far away to be in danger. Not long afterward we answered a shoreward hail, and two whitehall boats, each pulled by three pairs of oars, darted up to us. Charley's face bent over to us, and he had us gripped by the hands while he was crying, "O you joys! You joys! Both of you!"
     When the flotilla had been landed, Nicholas and I and a watchman rowed out in one of the whitehalls, with Charley in the stern-sheets. Two other whitehalls followed us, and as the moon now shone brightly, we easily made out the oyster pirates on their lonely shoal. As we drew in closer, they fired a volley from their revolvers, and we retreated beyond range.
     "Lots of time," Charley said. "The flood is setting in fast, and by the time it's up to their necks there won't be any fight left in them."
     So we lay on our oars and waited for the tide to do its work. This was the predicament of the pirates: because of the big run-out, the tide was rushing in like a mill-race, and it was impossible for the strongest swimmer in the world to make against it three miles to the sloops. Between the pirates and the shore were we, preventing escape in that direction. On the other hand, the water was rising rapidly over the shoals, and it was only a question of a few hours when it would be over their heads.
     It was beautifully calm, and in the brilliant white moonlight we watched them through our night-glasses, and told Charley of the voyage of the Coal Tar Maggie. One o'clock came, and two o'clock, and the pirates were clustering on the highest shoal, waist-deep in water.
     "Now this illustrates the value of imagination," Charley was saying. "Taft has been trying for years to get them, but he went at it with bull-strength and failed. Now we used our heads ——"
     Just then I heard a scarcely audible gurgle of water, and holding up my hand for silence, I turned and pointed to a ripple slowly widening out in a growing circle. It was not more than fifty feet from us.
     We kept perfectly quiet and waited. After a minute the water broke six feet away, and a black head and white shoulder showed in the moonlight. With a snort of surprise and of suddenly expelled breath, the head and shoulder went down.
     We pulled ahead several strokes and drifted with the current. Four pairs of eyes searched the surface of the water, abut never another rippled showed and never another glimpse did we catch of the black head and white shoulder.
     "It's The Porpoise," Nicholas said. "It would take broad daylight for us to catch him."
     At quarter to three the pirates gave their first sign of weakening. We heard cries for help, in the unmistakable voice of The Centipede, and this time, on rowing closer, we were not fired upon.
     The Centipede was in a truly perilous plight. Only the heads and shoulders of his fellow marauders showed above the water as they braced themselves against the current, while his feet were on the bottom, and they were supporting him.
     "Now, lads," Charley said briskly, "we've got you, and you can't get away. If you cut up rough, we'll have to leave you alone, and the water fill finish you. But if you're good, we'll take you aboard, one man at a time, and you'll all be saved. What do you say?"
     Aye!" they chorused hoarsely.
     "Then one man at a time, and the short men first."
     The Centipede was the first to be pulled aboard, and he came willingly, although he objected when the constable put the handcuffs on him. Barchi was next hauled in, quite meek and resigned from his soaking. When we had ten in our boat we drew back, and the second Whitehall was loaded. The third Whitehall received nine prisoners only—a catch of twenty-nine in all.
     "You didn't get The Porpoise!" The Centipede said, exultantly, as if his escape materially diminished our success.
     Charley laughed. "But we saw him just the same," he said, "a-snorting for shore like a puffing pig."
     It was a mild and shivering band of pirates that we marched up the beach to the oyster-house. In answer to Charley's knock the door was flung open, and a pleasant wave of warm air rushed out upon us.
     "You can dry you clothes here, lads, and get some hot coffee," Charley announced, as they filed in. And there, sitting ruefully by the fire with a steaming mug in his hand, was The Porpoise. With one accord Nicholas and I looked at Charley. He laughed gleefully.
     "That comes of imagination," he said. "When you see a thing, you've got to see it all round, or what's the good of seeing it at all? I saw the beach, so I left a couple of constables behind to keep an eye on it. That is all."

From the March 16, 1905 issue of The Youth's Companion magazine.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism, please send e-mail to Carl Bell.

Back to the Jack London index.
Back to Carl Bell's Web Page